Registering an LLC Name
Choosing a business name is one of the first steps in the process of forming your District of Columbia LLC. The name that you choose:
- Must contain, as the last words of the name, the words “limited liability company” or the abbreviation “L.L.C.” or “LLC”.
- Must not contain the words “Corporation”, “Incorporated”, “Limited Partnership”, or the abbreviations “Corp.”, “Inc.”, or “L.P.”
- Must not contain any word or phrase the use of which is prohibited by law for such company
- Must not contain any word or phrase which indicates or implies that it is organized for any purpose other than 1 or more of the purposes contained in its articles of organization
- Must use a name that is distinguishable (not the same as or deceptively similar to) the name of a domestic LLC, corporation, limited partnership, foreign LLC, corporation, or limited partnership registered to transact business in the District, or a LLC name reserved, or the fictitious name adopted by a foreign LLC, limited partnership, or corporation because its real name is unavailable for use in the District
A domestic LLC may apply to use a name that not distinguishable (the same as, or deceptively similar to) to the name of an entity if the other entity consents to the use in writing and submits an undertaking in a form to change its name to one that is distinguishable from the applicants.
United Agent Services allows you to choose up to 3 names, in order of preference. We will conduct a name check before filing to see which names are available.
How to Register
Once you have chosen an available name, United Agent Services can help you register your name with the state.