Registering an LLC Name
Choosing a business name is one of the first steps in the process of forming your Hawaii LLC. The name that you choose
- Must contain, as the last words of the name, the words “Limited Company” or “Limited Liability Company” or the abbreviation “L.C.” or “L.L.C.” The word “limited” may be abbreviated as “Ltd.”, and “company” may be abbreviated as “Co.” The letters in the name of a LLC must be letters of the English alphabet
- Must be distinguishable (not the same as or deceptively similar to
- The name of any domestic corporation, partnership, limited partnership, limited liability company, or limited liability partnership existing or registered under the laws of this State
- The name of any foreign corporation, partnership, limited partnership, limited liability company, or limited liability partnership authorized to transact business in this State
- A name the exclusive right to which is reserved under the laws of this State
- A fictitious name for a foreign LLC authorized to transact business in this State because its real name is unavailable
- Any trade name, trademark, or service mark registered in this State
A LLC may apply to use a name that is not distinguishable if:
- The present user, registrant, or owner of a reserved or registered name consents in writing to the use of the name, and one or more words are added to make the name distinguishable from the name of the applicant
- The applicant delivers to the director a certified copy of the final judgment of a court of competent jurisdiction establishing the applicant’s right to use the name applied for in this State
United Agent Services allows you to choose up to 3 names, in order of preference. We will conduct a name check before filing to see which names are available.
How to Register
Once you have chosen an available name, United Agent Services can help you register your name with the state.