Registering an LLC Name
Choosing a business name is one of the first steps in the process of forming your Illinois LLC. The name that you choose:
- Must contain, as the last words of the name, the words “limited liability company” or either of the following abbreviations: “L.L.C.” or LLC
- May not contain a word or phrase, or an abbreviation or derivation thereof, the use of which is prohibited or restricted by any other statute of this State unless the restriction has been complied with
- Must consist of letters of the English alphabet, Arabic or Roman numerals, or symbols capable of being readily reproduced by the Office of the Secretary of State
- Must not contain any of the following terms: “Corporation,” “Corp.,” “Incorporated,” “Inc.,” “Ltd.,” “Co.,” “Limited Partnership” or “L.P.”
- Must be the name under which the LLC transacts business in this State unless the LLC also elects to adopt an assumed name or names as provided in this Act; provided, however, that the LLC may use any divisional designation or trade name without complying with the requirements of this Act, provided the LLC also clearly discloses its name
- Must not contain any word or phrase that indicates or implies that the limited liability company is authorized or empowered to be in the business of a corporate fiduciary unless otherwise permitted by the Commissioner of the Office of Banks and Real Estate under Section 1-9 of the Corporate Fiduciary Act. The word “trust”, “trustee”, or “fiduciary” may be used by a limited liability company only if it has first complied with the Corporate Fiduciary Act
- Must contain the word “trust”, if it is a limited liability company organized for the purpose of accepting and executing trusts
United Agent Services allows you to choose up to 3 names, in order of preference. We will conduct a name check before filing to see which names are available.
How to Register
Once you have chosen an available name, United Agent Services can help you register your name with the state.