Registering an LLC Name
Choosing a business name is one of the first steps in the process of forming your Kentucky LLC. The name that you choose:
- Must contain, as the last words of the name, the words “limited liability company” or “limited company” or the abbreviations “LLC” or “LC.” The word “Limited” may be abbreviated as “Ltd.” and the word “Company” may be abbreviated as “Co.”
- Must be distinguishable from any name on record
A LLC may apply to use a name that is not distinguishable if either:
- The other entity consents to the use in writing and submits an undertaking in form to change its name to a name that is distinguishable from the name of the applying LLC
- The applicant delivers to the Secretary of State a certified copy of the final judgment of a court of competent jurisdiction establishing the applicant’s right to use the name applied for in this Commonwealth
A limited liability company may use the name, including the fictitious name, of another business entity that is used in this Commonwealth if the other business entity is organized or authorized to transact business in this Commonwealth and the LLC either:
- Has merged with the other business entity
- Has been formed by reorganization of the other business entity
- Has acquired all or substantially all of the assets, including the business name, of the other entity
This chapter shall not control the use of fictitious names.
United Agent Services allows you to choose up to 3 names, in order of preference. We will conduct a name check before filing to see which names are available.
How to Register
Once you have chosen an available name, United Agent Services can help you register your name with the state.