Registering a LLC Name
Choosing a business name is one of the first steps in the process of forming your Rhode Island Limited Liability Company. The name that you choose:
- Must contain, as the last words of the name, “limited liability company” or the upper or lower case letters “l.l.c.” with or without punctuation
- Must be distinguishable from (cannot be the same as or deceptively similar to) any name filed, reserved or registered by any corporation, nonbusiness corporation or other association, limited partnership or foreign or Rhode Island limited liability company organized under the laws of, or registered or qualified to do business in, this state
- Must not imply that it was organized for a different purpose that what is specified in its articles of organization
However, an LLC can apply to choose a name that is not distinguishable from the Department of Commerce records if:
- The corporation, nonbusiness corporation or other association, limited partnership, domestic or foreign limited liability company or holder consents to the use in a writing AND one or more words are added to make the name distinguishable from such other name OR
- The applicant delivers to the Secretary of State a certified copy of a final decree establishing the prior right of the applicant to use the name OR
- The name of a corporation, nonbusiness corporation or other association, the certificate of incorporation or organization has been revoked by the secretary of state as permitted by law, and the revocation has not been withdrawn within one year from the date of the revocation
United Agent Services allows you to choose up to 3 names, in order of preference. We will conduct a name check for your Rhode Island Limited Liability Company before filing to see which names are available.
Reserving a Limited Liability Company Name
Once you have chosen an available name, United Agent Services can help you register your name with the state.