Registering a Limited Liability Company Name
Choosing a business name is one of the first steps in the process of forming your South Carolina Limited Liability Company. The name that you choose:
- Must contain, as the last words of the name, “limited liability company” or “L.L.C.,” “limited company” or the abbreviation “L.L.C.”, “LLC”, “L.C.”, or “LC”. The word “limited” may be abbreviated as “Ltd.”, and the word “company” may be abbreviated as “Co.”
- Must be distinguishable from (cannot be the same as or deceptively similar to) the name of any South Carolina Limited Liability Company, Corporation, Limited partnership, or Company incorporated, organized or authorized to transact business, in this State
- Must be distinguishable from a name reserved or registered or a fictitious name approved for a foreign company authorized to transact business in this State
- Must not indicate or imply that it was organized for a different purpose that what is specified in its articles of organization
However, South Carolina Limited Liability Company can apply to choose a name that is not distinguishable from the Department of Commerce records if either:
- The present user, registrant or owner consents to the use in a record AND submits an undertaking in a form satisfactory to the Secretary of State to change its name to be distinguishable from the applicant’s name
- The applicant delivers to the Secretary of State a certified copy of a court judgment giving the applicant the right to use the name
United Agent Services allows you to choose up to 3 names, in order of preference. We will conduct a name check for your South Carolina Limited Liability Company before filing to see which names are available.
Reserving a Limited Liability Company Name
Once you have chosen an available name, United Agent Services can help you register your name with the state.