Registering a Limited Liability Company Name
Choosing a business name is one of the first steps in the process of forming your Tennessee Limited Liability Company. The name that you choose:
- Must contain, as the last words of the name, “limited liability company” or “L.L.C.” or “LLC”
- Must not contain the word “corporation” or “incorporated” or an abbreviation of either words
- Must not contain language stating or implying that the LLC is organized for any unlawful purpose
- May not contain language stating or implying that the LLC transacts or has the power to transact any business without actual authorization
- May not contain language stating or implying that the LLC is organized as, affiliated with, or sponsored by, any fraternal, veterans’, service, religious, charitable, or professional organization, unless that fact is certified in writing by the organization with which affiliation or sponsorship is claimed
- May not contain language stating or implying that the LLC is an agency or instrumentality of, affiliated with or sponsored by the United States or any state thereof or a subdivision or agency thereof, unless such fact is certified in writing by the appropriate official of the United States or the state or subdivision or agency thereof
- Must be distinguishable from the names of any Tennessee Limited Liability Company, corporation, or LLP authorized to do business in this state
- Must be distinguishable from any Tennessee Limited Liability Company, corporate, or LLP name reserved or registered
- Must be distinguishable from the name of a not-for-profit corporation authorized to transact business in this state
United Agent Services allow you to choose up to 3 names, in order of preference. We will conduct a name check before filing to see which names are available.
Registering a Name
Once you have chosen an available name, United Agent Services can help you register your name with the state.