Registering a LLC Name

Choosing a business name is one of the first steps in the process of forming your Vermont Limited Liability Company. The name that you choose:

  • Must be distinguishable from (cannot be the same as or deceptively similar to) any other Vermont Limited Liability Company name or other business names used, registered or reserved with the Secretary of State
  • Must contain, as the last words of the name, “limited liability company” or “LLC” or “L.L.C.” or “limited company” or “LC” or “L.C.” The word “limited” may be abbreviated as “Ltd.,” and the word company may be abbreviated as “co.”

However, an LLC can apply to choose a name that is not distinguishable from the Secretary of State records if either:

  • The other entity consents to the use in a writing AND submits an undertaking in form satisfactory to the Secretary of State to change its name to a name that is distinguishable from the applicant’s name
  • The applicant delivers to the Secretary of State a certified copy of a court judgment giving the applicant the right to use the name

A LLC may also choose a name, including a fictitious name, of another domestic or foreign company already in use within the state if the other entity is organized or authorized to transact business in this state.

Reserving a LLC Name

A LLC may reserve a name by filing an application with the Secretary of State. A LLC name be reserved by a person intending to organize the LLC or a LLC already registered in the state.

A name can be reserved for a 120 day period and can be renewed for 1 additional period of 120 days. A LLC must wait to re-renew after the second renewal period for one calendar year.

A LLC can transfer a name reservation by delivering to the Secretary of State a signed transfer notice specifying the name and address of the transferee.

United Agent Services allows you to choose up to 3 names, in order of preference. We will conduct a name check for your Vermont Limited Liability Company before filing to see which names are available.

How to Register

Once you have chosen an available name, United Agent Services can help you register your name with the state.