Registering a Corporate Name
Choosing a business name is one of the first steps in the process of forming your Maine LLC. The name that you choose:
- Must contain, as the last words of the name, the words “limited liability company”, or must contain the abbreviation “L.L.C.” or the abbreviation “LLC”, either of which abbreviation may be used interchangeably
- May not contain the word “corporation”, “incorporated”, or the abbreviations “corp.” or “inc.”
- Must be distinguishable from the name of a corporation, LLC, limited liability partnership or limited partnership that is incorporated, organized or authorized to transact business in this State
- Must be distinguishable from assumed, fictitious, reserved and registered name filings for all entities
- Must be distinguishable from marks unless the registered owner is the same person or entity as the LLC seeking to use the indistinguishable name
An LLC may apply to use a name that is not distinguishable on the records of the Secretary of State if:
- The entity consents to the use in writing and submits an undertaking to change its name to one that is distinguishable from the name of the applicant
- The applicant delivers to the Secretary of State a certified copy of the final judgment of a court of competent jurisdiction establishing the applicant’s right to use the name applied for in this State
United Agent Services allows you to choose up to 3 names, in order of preference. We will conduct a name check before filing to see which names are available.
Reserving a Limited Liability Company Name
Once you have chosen an available name, United Agent Services can help you register your name with the state.