Registering a Limited Liability Company Name
Choosing a business name is one of the first steps in the process of forming your Montana LLC. The name that you choose:
- Must contain, as the last words of the name, the words “limited company” or “limited liability company” or the abbreviation “LC”, “LLC”, “L.C.” or “L.L.C.” and shall be the name under which the LLC transacts business in this state
- May not contain the word “corporation”, “incorporated”, “limited partnership”, “L.P.”, or “Ltd.” or any abbreviation of one of such words or any word or phrase which indicates or implies that it is organized for any purpose not stated in its articles of organization or that it is a governmental agency
- Must be distinguishable from the name of any:
- Limited partnership or
- Other business entity organized, reserved or registered or licensed or registered as a foreign corporation, LLC or limited partnership in this state
A LLC may apply to the secretary of state for authorization to use a name that is not distinguishable if either:
- The holder of a reserved or registered name consents to such use in writing and files appropriate documentation to change its name to a name that is distinguishable from the name of the applicant’s LLC
- A certified copy of a final decree of a court of competent jurisdiction establishing the prior right of the applicant to the use of such name in this state is filed with the secretary
United Agent Services allows you to choose up to 3 names, in order of preference. We will conduct a name check before filing to see which names are available.
Reserving a Limited Liability Company Name
Once you have chosen an available name, United Agent Services can help you register your name with the state.