Registering a Limited Liability Company Name
Choosing a business name is one of the first steps in the process of forming your North Carolina LLC. The name that you choose:
- Must contain, as the last words of the name, the words “limited liability company”, or must contain the abbreviation “L.L.C.” or the abbreviation “LLC”, either of which abbreviation may be used interchangeably
- May not contain a word or phrase that indicates or implies that it may not be organized or that it is organized for a purpose other than a legal business purpose for which a LLC may be organized under this chapter
- May not contain the word “corporation”, “incorporated”, “limited partnership”, “limited liability partnership”, “limited liability limited partnership”, or any abbreviation of these words
- Must be distinguishable from the name of any name, whether foreign and authorized to do business in this state or domestic, of (a) another limited liability company, (b) a corporation, (c) a limited partnership, (d) A limited liability partnership; or (e) a limited liability limited partnership
- Must be distinguishable from any name reserved or registered or a trade name registered
A LLC may apply to the secretary of state for authorization to use a name that is not distinguishable if the applicant files with the Secretary of State.
- The written consent of the holder of the rights to the name to which the proposed name has been determined to be deceptively similar
- A certified copy of a judgment of a court in this state establishing the prior right of the applicant to the use of the name in this state
United Agent Services allows you to choose up to 3 names, in order of preference. We will conduct a name check before filing to see which names are available.
Reserving a Limited Liability Company Name
Once you have chosen an available name, United Agent Services can help you register your name with the state.